Payette Church of the Nazarene began on as a small home mission Sunday School, and was officially organized on October 19, 1930 with 16 charter members. Attendance quickly grew, prompting the purchase of an old German dance hall. Eventually, we outgrew the old dance hall and constructed a building on 10th St and 3rd Ave North in Payette. Many years later, we found ourselves again in need of more space. As a result, more property was purchased, a new building was put up, and on Jun 8, 2008, PayNaz held its first service in what is now our home on 7th Ave North in Payette.
PayNaz is proudly a part of the Intermountain District within the global Church of the Nazarene.
As a local and global church, we hold the following to be true:
· We believe in one God-the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
· We believe that the Old and New Testament Scriptures, given by plenary inspiration, contain all truth necessary to faith and Christian living.
· We believe that humans are born with a fallen nature, and are, therefore, inclined to evil.
· We believe that the finally impenitent are hopelessly and eternally lost.
· We believe that the atonement through Jesus Christ is for the whole human race; and that whosoever repents and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ is justified and regenerated and saved from the dominion of sin.
· We believe that believers are to be sanctified wholly, subsequent to regeneration, through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
· We believe that the Holy Spirit bears witness to the new birth, and also to the entire sanctification of believers.
· We believe that our Lord will return, the dead will be raised, and the final judgment will take place.
Additionally, the Church of the Nazarene emphasizes the following core values:
We are a Christian People
· As members of the Church Universal, we join with all true believers in proclaiming the Lordship of Jesus Christ and in embracing the historic Trinitarian creedal statements of Christian faith. We value our Wesleyan-Holiness heritage and believe it to be a way of understanding the faith that is true to Scripture, reason, tradition, and experience.
We are a Holiness People
· God, who is holy, calls us to a life of holiness. We believe that the Holy Spirit seeks to do in us a second work of grace, called by various terms including "entire sanctification" and "baptism with the Holy Spirit"-cleansing us from all sin, renewing us in the image of God, empowering us to love God with our whole heart, soul, mind, and strength, and our neighbors as ourselves, and producing in us the character of Christ. Holiness in the life of believers is most clearly understood as Christlikeness.
We are a Missional People
· We are a sent people, responding to the call of Christ and empowered by the Holy Spirit to go into all the world, witnessing to the Lordship of Christ and participating with God in the building of the Church and the extension of His kingdom (Matthew 28:19-20; 2 Corinthians 6:1). Our mission (a) begins in worship, (b) ministers to the world in evangelism and compassion, (c) encourages believers toward Christian maturity through discipleship, and (d) prepares women and men for Christian service through Christian higher education.
We are a people who desire to be Christ's represenatives to this world, but that doesn't make us any better than the world!